Thursday, June 20, 2013


Push Pull Mod: I’ve had a couple people ask me how I do my push/pull modification so I am detailing this on today’s post for them.

On my 40% I used two servos, one on each side but on the 35% I use only one high torque servo and it seems to be enough.
Ok so what I do first is locate a solid spot of wood on the fuselage that can hold the servo and not interfere with any other functions on the tail and still have a clean direct functional connection to the rudder via the pushrod. Some times this can be the hardest part.
 
 
After marking out and cutting the hole I then epoxy a reinforcement piece of plywood inside the fuse to give more bite to the servo screws. The rudder on these planes are very big forcing lots of blow back and lots of vibration can weaken the screws in no time so I also use a drop of CA on each screw on final installation of the servo.



 
I use carbon fiber pushrods from Central Hobbies with a 3/16x4/40 insert. After using a small file to sand the inside of the carbon fiber they are glued with JB weld. I also sand the metal threaded insert and clean it with denatured alcohol before gluing it in. 



 The end result is virtually no slop in the rudder and a much stronger connection with a crisper response on the feel of the rudder.  Where I mostly notice the difference is on flying a knife edge it is smoother/easier as I can feel the planes reaction to inputs much better.

 
Tomorrow will be finishing the tail section.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment