Thursday, June 13, 2013

Got in a late night last night:  The smoke system is installed and ready to be program.  The Sullivan smoke pump has two leads coming out, one for a battery and one to plug directly into the radio which can be programmed at variable flow levels at different throttle positions.  This might be a bit of a learning curve as I have never done a smoke system before.

 
 
The header arrived. I needed one with a 2” drop and wrap around to center. Several hours went into customizing the mounting system for the header and can. I could not install the factory screw on the rear bolt on the header.  The curve in the pipe was so tight unless the screw could bend forget it. I had to cut the head off the screw, clean the threads up and use a nut to secure it.  Lots of Loctite and nord-lok washers should hopefully keep things snug on this single shaker. 



 
I have a small problem with how I am going to adjust the needles as you can see below. If I install the cover over the engine box I cannot get to them so I may have to drill a hole in the side for access.

 
Hopefully I can get another successful night in tonight and wrap it up. I am hoping for a test flight this Saturday.  I still have some big steps that need to be completed before that can happen.

2 comments:

  1. I am rooting for you.
    I have seen people create a system to adjust the A/F mixture in a blind hole by slipping a fuel line over the needle and running it through a hole in the fuse to the outside. Then all you have to do is insert a small screwdriver in the fuel line to adjust.

    Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne, Thanks for the idea. I forgot I have seen that before years ago and never remembered it. I will use it.

    Thanks, Randy

    ReplyDelete