Monday, June 10, 2013


Moving along with the firewall:
I got the firewall installed. It needed to be moved back 14mm to fit the 88evo engine. The plane is set up for a 50cc-85cc but to put in the larger engine some small mods need to be executed.  For this I use slow cure epoxy and large clamps.
This is such a slow critical process to get the correct down and right thrust for the engine.
 

 
Of course the first mounting hole I drilled was incorrect so I had to plug it with a dowel and re-measure to drill a new hole.  At least it was only one (the first) hole screwed up on.   Eventually I was able to get it spot on as you can see buy the spinner too cowl alignment.


 
I am waiting on some parts that are ordered.  I couldn’t order the header for the muffler until I mounted the engine.  I couldn’t get an accurate measurement for the drop to enter the exhaust tunnel directly in the center until the engine was in place.



 

Next up was the engine and radio switches. Because the Decathlon has large scale doors on both sides I had what I hope to be is a great idea. I made a cross mount to put both switches on and the fuel and smoke dots in leaving the outside to look as close to clean scale as possible. The only drawback I can see is it’s getting a little crowded inside there with the extra smoke tank and pump under the switches.


 
 
Even the throttle servo is pushed to the side. It is also moved back to help compensate for the added engine weight.


 
This week I will be reading up on smoke systems and hopefully learning everything I need to do a clean and proper working installation. With all the added engine weight and custom smoke I need to start evaluating where the batteries will going in order to keep the CG as center as possible. I really do not want to add any weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment