Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Nothing good on TV so work on the plane.


I was able to do some angle trim pieces for mounting the tail wheel so now it looks more scale and retracts all the way and the wheel strut is angled at the correct position. The former from the factory was glued in at 1/8” off an inch off. The angle was enough to put the tail wheel one inch out of place when fully deployed. Took a while to figure that one out, I kept thinking I did something wrong. Others have had the same problem but opted to send the gear back and have it shortened.
 
 
I wish I could take credit for this idea but I stole it from yap, the internet.  I cut out where the factory Corsair gas tank would be and engineered some hinges for it. First I scored the outer glass with the Dremal then cut all the way through with an exacto knife.  I had to make three proto type hinges before it worked correctly. 
 




 
 I had to make three proto type hinges before it worked correctly. I made a template of the opening to cut some balsa for the door to stop and seal shut. I soaked it in water and ammonia and clamped it to the fuselage. When it dried it was perfectly shaped and ready to glue.




 
I then used brass to make a locking mechanism for it. The spring keeps it from turning while closed.  This box is where the radio, engine, charging jacks and fuel pump switches will be located. I will also put the fuel dot in there.


 
I am really happy (ok impressed) with how it turned out. Self hi five!

 
I just got word that Dave ordered a custom made scale exhaust that should be here soon and then I can get back to the engine area. It’s great that Dave is on top of supplying me the necessary hardware; it really helps to keep it moving along. I hate waiting for parts sometimes. He has really been a great owner to build for.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment