Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gentlemen start your engines:


Gentlemen start your engines: 

The wing servos are hooked up and programmed. I used 2” SWB arms which may prove to be too much for these giant ailerons. I may end up drooping them down to 1.5”

 
The headers are installed and smoke line attached. The mufflers required some custom work with the support mounts in the fuselage exhaust tunnel. Not my favorite way to do it but I had to make the canister mount permanent due to limited space.
 
 
Note the screws on the canister coupler, this has never been a problem on my Large cans but the medium cans always want to spin and slip out so I have to put a stainless set screw in to hold it.
 
 
 
 
Pilot includes a cowl engine face that can be cut for baffling. The idea here is to only have air enter the cowl forced over the engine. What’s most important is to have more air exit the cowl than entering, 3:1 seems to be the rule.

 
The Yak cowl is round so I decided to cut round vents on the cowl instead of the usual rectangle.  This mad life much easier and things faster than drawing all those vents and using the dermal and covering myself, the garage and the plane in fiberglass.



 
To keep things light and the CG balanced I went with a manual choke.


 
The handsome builder. Last step is to run the engine and get it tuned. I will be starting out with a Falcon 29x9 prop on Redline oil 40:1
Speaking about balance again
balance it appears I am at a neutral spot so placement of everything seems to be spot on but each plane has different characteristics so some placement may be necessary later on.
 
 

 
Thanks for following the build; I hope to have a report of success after the maiden flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment