Thursday, February 7, 2013







 
It’s the last finish work that seems to go soooo slow. 
I had to make a custom bent pushrod for the choke servo.  I sure wish the throttle and choke levers were not on the same side near each other on DA’s.  I spent almost two hours making sure nothing binds and moves freely.  Its woth it to me to have a choke servo rather than have a wire sticking out of the cowl that can get bumped.
Next up was the Fromeco switches.  There really were not many options where I could mount them.  It was important that they be placed within reach of the batteries that need to be placed in a necessary location for the CG.  I also like them because they have the charge plug built into them. These switches are very reliable and user friendly but not easy to mount.  The large cutout hole must be cut precise or the switch will easily push through the wood creating the need for a repair job (no thank you).  I am using the KIS system (Keep It Simple) for the electronics.  I purchased a Smart Fly EQ 6Turbo but decided to just run two separate switches instead and utilize the power of the radio to program everything.  I like to keep the engine as separate as possible from the radio so I have one switch for the radio and one for the ignition but more on that later.
Another mod I need to do was create something that would keep the canopy plastic from sliding and bending over that can cause the canopy to crack.  This is something that has happened often on this model and after making a template I think I resolved it with a 1/8” piece of ply mounted to the fuselage.  A little bit of paint and it looks a little like a head rest.
I still need to do two more mods that I have been saving for last to do.  I need to cut some vents in the bottom of the cowl and create a baffling system for the twin cylinder heads that direct/force the air through the cylinder head fins.  The standard ratio for airflow is 3 times out for 1 time in.  In other words it is very important to get the hot air out of cowled engines. I will tackle this over the weekend.
Next update in a couple days. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment