Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Part 3 Slick 540

I tackled my first try at vacuum bagging and it went off with out a hitch.

The box part of the fuselage is complete and weight came in just under 3lbs so I am very happy with that especially with all the custom mods I did to strengthen that landing gear area and engine box up.

I have decided on using a different engine than originally planned. I was going to use a DA 120 but they shake so bad that I am worried with the hyperlite build I might shake the plane apart so I just ordered a GP 123 which I will break in on another plane for about 20-30 flights.

The canopy hatch is sheeted and the lower belly pan is in the vacuum bag tonight. Tomorrow I will cut some weight saving sections out of it using a router bit and a hot knife.

Sorry the video got cut short but I posted a picture of the vacuum bag with all the air removed.


Vacuum pump set at 5.5-6.5 lbs

I cut the bag and added the nipple

Air vacuuming out

Sheets taped and ready to cut to shape

Tracing the hatch onto the balsa

All the air is vacuumed out

Hatch is sheeted

This is the belly pan

The belly pan is the length of the fuselage so for shipping it's cut in half. I had to first join it together with epoxy and micro balloons

The wood is cut and ready to put resin on.

Its in the box foam ready

All the air is vacuumed out and will sit all night.


No comments:

Post a Comment