Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It almost looks like a plane now.

I got the sides into the jigs over the plans and mounted them to the engine box. I used titebond and CA. Then came the cross section. Here you must pay special attention that they are cut to fit precisely or your fuselage side will bow, bend in or worse banana shape. I admit I threw to the scrap pile more than 3 under cut ones. I soon learned start with the long ones so the short cuts can be used down the line. Once out of the jigs this is your first time to see if you really did build it all straight. I don't mind sasying, I did a hell of a job! Next came all the gussets. I am sure I am not the first to do this trick but I put about 5 at a time on a 3/8" piece of balsa and cleaned up the tab cuts on the bench disc sander (see pic)

I squared everything back up and turned the fuse over hanging the box off the bench. I used my Snap On chair, raised it up and put a rag between the plane and chair for a perfect soft, supported stool. Once the planes is weighted down level I put in the phenolic tubes and supports in place. I made sure the bench was perfectly level and then sighted everything thing up with the laser level. Then glued the phenolic tubes in place with 30 minute epoxy and micro balloons. This needs to dry until tomorrow and then I will cut the tubes and put those aside to be glued into the wings.















No comments:

Post a Comment