Wednesday, January 30, 2013















Ok so today’s progress although big does not appear to be much.  This is a step that needs full attention.  First I packaged the twin DA 170 18hp engine that has been waiting patiently in the box to be set free.  Then after verifying the pre marked holes for a DA 170 on the firewall match I started the task of setting the distance at which the motor needed to be mounted.  To me this is one of Pilot’s best features.  No standoffs are needed you can mount the engine directly to the firewall.

The right angle thrust is pre-determined as long as the firewall is mounted at the same distance from the leading edge of the engine box sides.  So in other words you’re just sliding the firewall evenly back the necessary distance.  Of course I spent two hours doing this in fear of getting it wrong.  Once I had all the measurements marked and re-checked umpting times I secured the firewall with 30minute epoxy and drilled 4 more holes on the sides of the engine box and added the bolts that secured the metal frame on the firewall.  After that was dry I added triangular stock to the front of the firewall for added support.

For your viewing pleasure and plane size reference I added my ugly mug. Tomorrow I will mount up the engine and start mounting servos.  I still am not ready to tackle the rudder yet. I need to come up with a good push/pull system.  The wife’s been asking when she will get to park in the garage again. Not sure how to break the news about the new planes parking spot yet. Woops.
Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that is one big plane.
    I am glad to see the firewall is bolted in place with an angle bracket instead on gluing.

    hey, are to playing hooky from work to work on that. :-)

    ReplyDelete